Preview the entire EP here (it smokes):
Pretty rad SOME STRANGER review from Alternative Press. Here’s a lil’ screengrab:
Vinyl pre-orders going for another week or so until the actual records show up:
Full review can be read here:
Almost 1-month to the day from our last update (with lots of killer new stuff, plus key re-presses from TORCHE and BARONESS), we’re back with another round of awesome stuff in the Robotic Empire – Online Store.
We’ve got a wicked variety of cool stuff for this update, including one item which we’re incredibly jealous (and mildly frustrated) NOT to have been a part of. After years of harassing HUM about letting us reissue their incredible catalog, Shop Radio Cast beat everyone (including the band) to the punch. The resulting proof is in the pudding though, as their reissue of You’d Prefer An Astronaut really did turn out nice, along with the reissue treatment for two bangin QUICKSAND 12″s.
Beyond the special attention to that stuff, there are many other high-calibre items here including new items from CONVERGE, HOAX, JK FLESH, LOMA PRIETA, IN LOVING MEMORY, MAGIC CIRCLE, plus splits from TRIAC / D.O.C., TOUCHE AMORE / PBTT, DROPDEAD x2 and, YEAR OF NO LIGHT / ALTAR OF PLAGUES, plus imports aplenty from Vendetta/Adagio and some other choice stuff.
On the re-stock tip, we’re talkin bout (Willis) crucial stuff from ACID KING, AMENRA, CLOUD RAT, DROPDEAD, GIANTS, GODFLESH, KEN MODE, KIDCRASH, NACHTMYSTIUM, PHOENIX BODIES, RAEIN, PUNCH, ROSETTA, TOUCHE AMORE and WHITEHORSE. Here are the full lists:
* Batillus – Concrete Sustain 12″ (Vendetta) $14.99
* Black Heart Rebellion, The – Har Nevo 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Blue Letter, The – Love Is Not Control – GREY COLORED VINYL 2×12″ (Init) $19.99
* Brainbombs – Obey – RED COLORED VINYL 12″ (Armageddon) $14.99
* Children Of God – We Set Fire to The Sky 12″ (Vendetta) $14.99
* Converge – All We Love We Leave Behind 2×12″ (Deathwish) $19.99
* Converge / Dropdead – 20th Anniversary Split – COLORED VINYL 7″ (Self Released) $5.99
* Crowskin – Black Lava 12″ (Vendetta) $14.99
* Dropdead / Look Back And Laugh – Split – GREEN COLORED VINYL 7″ (Armageddon) $5.99
* Elder – Spires Burn / Release – PURPLE COLORED VINYL 12″ (Armageddon) $14.99
* Hoax – Self-Titled 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Holy – The Age Of Collapse 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Hum – You’d Prefer An Astronaut – 180 GRAM WHITE COLORED VINYL 12″ (Shop Radio Cast) $21.99
* In Loving Memory – A Discography – ORANGE COLORED VINYL 12″ (Init) $14.99
* JK Flesh – Posthuman CD (3 By 3 Music) $9.99
* Loma Prieta – Life/Less 12″ (Deathwish) $9.99
* Magic Circle – Self-Titled 12″ (Armageddon) $14.99
* Multiple Truths – No One Wins 12″ (Halo Of Flies) $10.99
* Perfect Future – Old Wounds: Warmth In The Winter Of 1914 & 1915 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Quicksand – Manic Compression – RED BLACK SWIRL COLORED VINYL 12″ (Shop Radio Cast) $19.99
* Quicksand – Slip – 180 GRAM BLACK VINYL 12″ (Shop Radio Cast) $19.99
* Reivers – Sympathetic Shock 12″ (Vendetta) $14.99
* Ruined Families – Blank Language 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Terror Bird – Secret Rituals 12″ (Adagio830) $14.99
* Touche Amore / Pianos Become The Teeth – Split – AQUA BLUE COLORED VINYL 7″ (Deathwish) $4.99
* Triac / D.O.C – Split 12″ (RSR) $16.99
* Whitehorse / Batillus – Split 12″ (Vendetta) $14.99
* Year Of No Light / Altar Of Plagues – Split 12” (Music Fear Satan) $14.99
* Acid King – Free / Down With the Crown 12” (Kreation) $10.99
* Acid King – III 12” – COLORED VINYL (Kreation) $10.99
* Amenra – Mass III-II + Mass IIII 2xCD (Init) $13.99
* Cloud Rat – Moksha 12” (Halo Of Flies) $10.99
* Dropdead – Discography 12-13 12” – RED COLORED VINYL (Armageddon) $14.99
* Dropdead – Self Titled 1993 12” – BLUE COLORED VINYL (Armadeggon) $14.99
* Giants – Old Stories 12” – COLORED VINYL (Cavity) $9.99
* Godflesh – Love and Hate In Dub 12” (Kreation) $10.99
* Ken Mode – Venerable 12” – CLEAR COLORED VINYL (Init) $14.99
* Kidcrash – Naps 12” – One-Sided VINYL (Init) $12.99
* Nachtmystium – Eulogy IV 12” (Kreation) $10.99
* Phoenix Bodies / Raein – Split 7” – CLEAR COLORED VINYL (Init) $4.99
* Punch – Nothing Lasts 7” (Deathwish) $4.99
* Rosetta – A Determinism of Morality 2×12” – COLORED VINYL (Cavity) $19.99
* Touche Amore – Parting The Sea Between Brightness and Me 12” (Deathwish) $10.99
* Whitehorse – Progression 12” – BLACK AND BLUE COLORED VINYL (At A Loss) $14.99
In addition to all that cool jibba jabb, we’re expecting our copies of the debut SOME STRANGER 12″ EP to arrive within the next two weeks and all pre-orders will then ship out A S A P.
We pressed this bad mamma jamma as a 45rpm 12″ and it includes a high quality digital download as well. Pre-orders are currently available here and are available on black or clear/black color vinyl.
BOOM! That’s it for this time, please hit up the Robotic Empire – Online Store for all this and more. Big ups!
SOME STRANGER will release their debut “Self-Titled” EP on April 2nd (digital) and April 30th (vinyl). Co-released by the band and independent label Robotic Empire, the digital version will be available as a pay-what-you-want download directly from the band via Bandcamp as well as traditional digital retailers. The vinyl will be released as a 45RPM 12″ by Robotic Empire and is available for preorder now:
SOME STRANGER started immediately following the departure of vocalist Tym from his previous endeavor, rock outfit DAYTRADER. Joined by visual artist and guitarist Daniel Danger on guitar, the duo swiftly tracked the EP with Gary Cioffi (TRANSIT, MISSER). The record was then mixed by Vince Ratti (BALANCE AND COMPOSURE, CIRCA SURVIVE) and mastered by Will Yip (TITLE FIGHT, BLACKLISTED).
Alternative Press’ recent “100 Bands You Need To Know This Year” feature characterized SOME STRANGER as “a textured, haunting collection that defies easy categorization.”
Says vocalist Tym, “We’re extremely excited to be working with Robotic Empire on this project. They’ve released some of our favorite records of all time… Torche, Isis, Jesu, pg99… the list goes on. We sent them some demos as we were writing them and when they offered to help us release it, it was a no-brainer. We finished up the recording process at the tail end of last year and we can’t wait for people to hear it.”
Robotic Empire label founder Andy Low added “Having known Tym and Dr. Danger for a long time, it’s exciting to hear SOME STRANGER pushing their individual and collective strengths in great ways. Our friends have crafted a powerful debut and we’re thrilled to be a part of it!”
1. On And On
2. Points East
3. Silver & The Sun
4. Song One
Striking out from the wastelands of conventional “indie” or “emo” rock, SOME STRANGER emerge with five incredibly catchy tracks on their debut release. Blissful melodic vocals soaring over an erratic and driving rhythm section are combined with hyper yet delicate guitars run through an arsenal of effects pedals. The overall haunting results are leaps and bounds beyond most debut releases, the clear result of seasoned veterans combining forces to yield amazing results.
Formerly of emo-rock outfit DAYTRADER, vocalist Tym joined friend and acclaimed visual artist / guitarist Daniel Danger to form SOME STRANGER with a mutual affliction for left-of-center angular rock. The duo enlisted longtime friend Derrick Flanagin (also of DAYTRADER, CAPSULE) to track drums and promptly hammering out their first set of recordings with engineer Gary Cioffi (TRANSIT, MISSER) also handling bass duties. Vince Ratti (CIRCA SURVIVE, BALANCE AND COMPOSURE) expertly mixed the session, which was then mastered by Will Yip (TITLE FIGHT, BLACKLISTED). Finally, Jacob Van Loon contributed artwork and the debut EP is now ready to be unleashed. This 45RPM vinyl 12″ has a first press limited to 500 pieces (200 on black vinyl, 300 on clear/black) and includes a digital download.